Another month - another recipe! This month I bring you....
This is soul food. Not only is it tasty, it is actually quite lean and healthy as far as creamy pastas go. I love pasta dishes, but this is one of my favourites and is so easy to make. Typically, when I cook I am not very good at measuring quantities, so the amounts specified are just a guide. You won’t regret trying this one!
Ingredients – to serve 4
Handful of mushrooms - sliced small
150-200g sliced lite ham or bacon
Garlic paste – to taste (I add a generous ‘squirt’!)
400ml (1 tin) Skim evaporated milk
Half a cup of white wine (optional, but recommended!)
1 egg yolk
1 (generous) dessertspoon cornflour
400g penne or bow-tie pasta
Half an avocado – cubed
Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper to taste
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Put pasta on to cook
2. Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Heat pan and fry mushrooms, bacon/ham add, dollop of garlic paste - fry until meat is browned*
3. Turn down heat and incorporate evaporated milk. Leave a small amount of evaporated milk in the tin and combine with cornflour to make a paste – add this to the mixture
4. Stir continuously over low heat until sauce begins to thicken. Add in wine and egg yolk and continue stirring. The sauce should take on a creamy consistency – but not be too thick (there is some degree of trial and error with quantity of cornflour required!)
5. When pasta is cooked, drain water. Return to large saucepan.
6. Combine sauce and pasta in saucepan, stirring sauce through well
7. Serve topped with avocado pieces, parmesan cheese and cracked pepper
*For an interesting recipe variation, chicken pieces could also be added in step #2.